to Help Shorten the Wait
When we are coming up into the holiday season, kids get really excited and need Christmas ideas. One of the best ways to help them contain this excitement is to create some sort of calendar or advent calendar that the kids can use to count down the days to the Holidays.
- This can be as simple as using a scrap piece of paper and a ruler to make squares. You could also use a store bought calendar page. Or you could print one out on the computer. Sewers have even made little pockets for each day of the month.
- Then the fun begins:
Another way is to make a long paper chain out of paper. Then each day, take off a loop. Use some of the same ideas above to write on each paper chain. Have a jar to draw a special activity for each day. Any of these activities will help kids look forward to each day of the coming holiday season and make the long wait bearable.
- Let the kids draw a picture for each day.
- You could use stickers and put a sticker on each day.
- You might buy a special treat for each day such as a piece of candy or some small trinket.
- Make the calendar into a nativity set with some part going up each day if that is the holiday you celebrate.
- Put a special activity for each day on the calendar. Then do that activity when that day comes.
Act Out the Nativity Scene
- Another Christmas idea is scting out the Nativity Scene. This will give a new meaning of the Christmas Story for your family.
- If you don't have enough people in your family to fill all the parts, you can use dolls or get together with your extended family or friends to act it out together.
- Robes make great Biblical clothing. Towels make great head toppers when tied around the head with a head band, string, or ribbon. Be creative with what you have around the house.
- If your family has no real baby, you can use a doll or even roll up a towel to be the baby Jesus.
- After you get everyone dressed, and they know their part, read the Christmas story while they act it out.
- If you want, you could even make a video of it. If you don't have a video camera, take still pictures. If you don't have a camera, get one of the disposable cameras so you can capture your special event.